Equipment Specs
Content
Languages

Merritt-Chapman & Scott

From RitchieWiki

Companies > Manufacturers

Merritt-Chapman & Scott was a marine salvage and construction company. It was founded in 1860 and ceased operations in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Merritt-Chapman & Scott’s roots date from 1860, and their lineage includes Whitney Bros. Company of Duluth, Minnesota, and Merritt-Chapman & Whitney. American Construction Company of Cleveland, Ohio was acquired by Merritt-Chapman & Scott in 1929-1930, and operated it as a subsidiary until at least 1937.

By the 1960s, Merritt-Chapman & Scott had become a large conglomerate with heavy and marine construction and marine salvage operations worldwide, most heavily concentrated in the Great Lakes and the Atlantic coast of the U.S. Other Merritt-Chapman & Scott operations included chemicals and shipbuilding in the U.S. As such major projects as the Glen Canyon Dam in Arizona, Priest Rapids Dam in Washington and the Robert Moses Power Plant and Intake at Niagara Falls, New York were completed, it was divesting itself of certain construction operations; this was due to the reduced profit margins offered by such projects under highly competitive bidding. As part of the divestiture, the Great Lakes Division, based in Cleveland, was sold to Dunbar & Sullivan in the mid-1960s.

[edit] External Links